We welcome you to the Village of Magnolia.
The Tuscarawas Indians were the first to inhabit the Magnolia area. Most of these Indians were friendly to the white settler with some of them remaining in the area until as late as 1852.
The first white settlers to come to the Magnolia area were Captain James Downing and Isaac Miller. Magnolia was started by settlers and homesteaders who came to claim land through the government land offices in Steubenville.
After Ohio became a state in 1803 , people came on "The Great Trail" by foot, horseback, wagons and stagecoach.
Magnolia's founder, Richard Elson, emigrated from Virginia with his parents and settled near Mapleton in 1830. He purchased the land for $1,200 and in 1834 laid out sixty lots for the Village of Magnolia with the help of John Smith and John Whitacre.
The part of Magnolia in Carroll County was originally called
Downingville. It was founded in 1836 by Isaac Miller, son-in-law of Captain Downing. In 1846 this area was incorporated into Magnolia.
Double click here to add text.